Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Westchester Open @ Metropolis Country Club


A view of the 6th hole (Photo by WGA)
I was fortunate enough to qualify for the Westchester Open this Spring, shooting 75 at the venerable Ardsley Country Club to comfortably gain entry to the main tournament.  This year’s WGA Open was played at my home course, Metropolis Country Club, just like the 2010 MGA Ike, where a younger, thinner, me, blogged about the experience here.  My efforts in 2010 yielded a T-19 finish, with consistent rounds of 73-74-74 for a total of 221.

Metropolis in 2014 plays differently than the course did a full college lifecycle ago.  The course has undergone major changes recently – with brand new teeboxes and bunkers added, bunkers refurbished, trees removed and native grasses allowed to grow in their place as well as fundamentally changing a few holes (namely 6 and 7).  In addition, the club hired a new greenskeeper last year who has done a fantastic job at improving the condition of the course – adding difficulty without sacrificing fairness, like a chef might add flavor while maintaining the same nutritional value of the crowd’s favorite dish.

The Westchester Open brings together many of the top Professionals and Amateurs in Westchester County for a two-day, three-round stroke play tournament.  This year’s field comprised ~120 golfers, split 2/3 professional and 1/3 amateur, 2/3 qualifiers and 1/3 exempt.  The participants play one round, the field is then cut to the top 40 plus ties and the remaining players play two rounds the next day to determine the victor.

The difference between recreational and tournament golf is a bit like the difference between a mock interview for a dream job, conducted by your mom and the real one, in Times Square, with cameras and megaphones aplenty.  Hyperbole, yes, but there is no question that, in tournament golf, your set of insecurities (golf related) creeps up on you, taps your psyche on the back and asks “can I join you for dinner?  or “mind if I follow your round?” challenges whose presence need to be accepted and managed.  I’d be surprised if the top golfers in the world don’t experience something similar, but it’s the best who can take these thoughts, and stow them comfortably under the seat in front of them (I am currently writing this on an airplane).
Teeing off Round 1 on the 10th hole (Photo by WGA)
In any event, I started the tournament on the 10th tee, playing with two head professionals from their respective clubs.  The 10th hole (my starting hole) is the hardest hole on the back nine, a 440 yard sharp dogleg right with a fence and out of bounds right, trees left, a fairway that runs into deep 4.5” rough grown specially for this tournament.  In short, it’s an extremely demanding tee shot, not made easier by its being the first shot of the tournament.  I was able to take a few deep breaths, enter my routine, and hit one of the best drives of the tournament, leaving me in a perfect position for my second shot.  From there I hit an 8 iron to the center of the green and two putted for par.

It should be noted that despite my amateur status and full time job, I enjoyed an advantage over much of the field: playing the tournament at my home course.  While others in the field have played Metropolis no times, once or maybe a few times, I’ve played it hundreds of times and have experienced many of the possibilities out there – gaining deep knowledge of the optimal plays off the tee, for approaches and around the green.  I estimate this advantage to be ~3 strokes in the first round, and maybe 1-2 for the remaining rounds as players gain knowledge and avoid some of the pitfalls in their first round.

I settled into a routine on the first nine of the first round, parring the 10th and 11th, bogeying the 12th (missed the green left and misjudged the bunker shot long) , parring the 13th and 14th, three putt bogeying the easy par-3 15th, but nearly making eagle on 16 for a birdie, parring 17 and bogeying 18 for a 37 (+2).  I was off to a solid start.  I made the turn and reached my 15th hole of the day at +2.  On 6, the hardest hole on the course, I made the big mistake of three putting from three feet, after missing my difficult birdie putt.  Simply, I missed the short right to left putt too far right, and then the left to right come-backer too far right.  Another double bogey on the 8th hole after a bad drive turned my good round into a mediocre one - 4 strokes was the difference between top 10 and tied for 38th.  On the par 3 9th hole, my last of the day, I hit an acceptable approach shot to the exact same pin as my hole-in-one earlier this year.  I blew my first putt 8 feet by and focused and sunk the difficult come backer for a 76.  I signed my card and drove back to the city without confidence I would make the cut.  Hours later, I learned I did make the cut, one the number, finishing day 1 in a tie for 38th place.

The next morning, rested up and with the emails and work piling up on my desk back at the office, I warmed up, noticing a decidedly different vibe on the range.  Players were focused and ready to move up the leaderboard.  I was paired in a twosome, with a pro, Dave, who had also shot 76 to make the cut on the number.  We both birdied the first hole, making solid up and downs from the front bunker of the par 5.  And we were off.  Things were going well until the 5th hole when I made double bogey after a poor drive, a poor chip and a three putt and another double bogey on the 6th after a bunker shot caught the false front and rolled off the green.  Dave had a tougher time on 6 as he got down in 8 from just over the green, carding a disastrous 10 on that hole.  I forged onward, and played okay golf coming in to finish with another 76.

We had under an hour to eat and practice before the afternoon round.  I started on the 10th hole again, and started with a double bogey after a missed green and three putt, a very bad start.  Despite the bad start, I continued with my routine, playing “one shot at a time” as the saying goes.  I continued to play decent, uninspired golf until I reached the 6th hole which I had double bogeyed in rounds 1 and 2, both times from the middle of the fairway.  This time, again from the middle of the fairway, I found myself at 132 to a back middle pin location and proceeded to hit my knock-down 7i into the hole for an eagle!  The shot looked perfect from its ascent and two players teeing off on the 7th hole noticed the shot and were just as excited as I was to see the ball drop into the hole.  I parred in from there to finish with a 70, my best tournament round ever.  Ultimately, I finished with 222, one behind my total in 2010's Ike Championship.
All told, I finished in 28th place, just 7 strokes from a Top-10 finish.  I continue to excel at iron play (hit 77.8% of greens) but struggle on the greens (averaged 1.981 putts).  I left the driver in the bag on most holes in favor of my strong 3 wood, sacrificing about 15-30 yards of distance for enhanced accuracy on the long shots.  This is a good strategy for me.

Without an improved short game, my golf game will get no better than it is now: somewhere between a 0 and +2 handicap.  When I do the analysis, I typically find 3-5 strokes left on the course each round which, if fully addressed, would turn my weaker mid 70's rounds into even par rounds and turn my better rounds of even or a few under into rounds in the mid 60's.  The shots that slip away are typically chips and pitches (greenside to ~30 yards) which I don't put close enough and putts (too many 5-10 footers missed and not enough birdie opportunities made just outside of this range).  Improvement requires aspiration, concentration and dedication, all of which I possess.  I have it in me to be the best and win.

I am pleased that though I was disappointed with my performance in rounds 1 and 2, I was still able to contend in a professional tournament as a full-time finance professional who doesn’t play or practice enough to justify such a result.  I am also pleased that, having made the cut, I am exempt from qualifying for the 2015 Westchester Open, being held at a venue to be released in the coming months.

David Pastore, an amateur, wound up winning the tournament with stellar play, carding 69-71-67.  It's a really incredible feat of golf to go to an unfamiliar course, set up as hard as it can play, and post these scores.  My hat is off to him!  You can check out the full leaderboard here.

Also, if you made it this far, thanks for picking up what I'm putting down.

No comments: