Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Closing Ceremony + Trip Wrapup

It is with mixed feelings that I write the final blog of this trip, clearly not my final blog, but the last one in Argentina, and the last one around this great group of people that I've come to know over the last ten days.

After one of the most low key New Years celebrations ever, I passed out at 1 and slept for twelve hours, and it felt fantastic. My first interaction of 2008 was to make amends with my friend that I had an issue or two with a few days earlier, and it felt alright to put the past behind and move forward.

The only plans of the day were to head to Hacoaj for dinner, followed by the closing ceremonies at Parque de la Costa (amusement park in Tigre). The dinner was kind of gnarly with some sort of country fried steak/veal/goat possible, spaghetti, different salads, and fruit.

Then we took the bus a few km down the road to the park and hung out for a while with team members, and chatted with some Argentines and their children. By far the most memorable part of the trip was the countless conversations I had with spanish speaking Maccabi players, residents, taxi drivers, waiters, my caddy Alejandro etc. I always knew I could speak, but to listen and comprehend really is pretty exciting. I realize that to be able to make a foreign speaker laugh using your words means that you have made a real connection, and well, means you are functional in the language.

The closing ceremony was another very special experience. There was a speech or two and several very impressive performances- I'll try to post video in the near future. Just like in the opening ceremonies I got the unique feeling of a combination of joy, togetherness, and community that is just a fantastic feeling that I hope to get again many times in the future. Thousands of athletes from 19 different countries, American, European, and African, bound together by a common culture, representing 0.2% of the total world population, are all part of very special communiity- a example of this in a minute.

The bus drivers went on strike after the ceremony ended, so we waited another 90 minutes on the bus before we could leave. We got back to the hotel at around 1:30, and Dave, Mark, Mike and I headed to El Establo (from the first night) to see if we could get a meal. The huge bags of trash outside and tables, well yeah it was closed. We walked back, lost half the group, and it was just Mark and I who asked the concierge for a 24 hour restaurant. We found it and ordered a pizza and two steaks and enjoyed the meh food and some good conversation. Mark and I agreed that we both love love love golf, specifically the quest for betterment, and that one day we may move to warm climates where we can practice our passion even in January and February. We also had a laugh that a huge drop of water from the air conditioner on the ceiling hit right in the middle of Mark's piece of pizza.

Sitting at a table next to us was a family from Peru whose son was still wearing his silver medal from soccer. I chatted them in Spanish for a second, but then English to include Mark. We chatted about golf for a minute or two and before they left said if we ever visit Peru to look them up- Kirschbaum, plastic surgeon, the only one in Peru. So indicative of our community and this trip as a whole. About 20 other memories just like this pop into my mind, and I'd like to post them all, but they'd get a bit repetitive. I get chills when I think of how lucky I am to have had this experience, and to have met all of these people. Chazak Amenu! Israel 2009!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sdfijijsdf