Monday, July 27, 2009

Back to Reality

Israel Pictures Full - Picasa

So I'm back in New York now and back to EST and resuming my normal life which is kinda sad given how awesome the last month has been. Even though I spent almost a month in Israel, I still feel like I barely scratched the surface of the country. There's so much more to experience, and I can't wait to get back and it's looking like next summer will be the time...maybe even December?

There are plenty of English speakers in Israel, but it still was frustrating not to be able to communicate with some people. Each day in Israel I pretty much doubled my knowledge of Hebrew...I can now count to ten, say excuse me, say cool/nice/okay in a bunch of different ways, I can ask where something is but probably won't be able to decipher the answer, i definitely can say I don't understand you, and a bunch of phrases I picked up here and there. Point of the story is: I want to learn hebrew and I'm looking at a few options of how to do that. Next time in Israel, I'll be ready to converse.

Side note: In online chat in the US, we say lol when something is funny...in Spanish speaking countries, the corresponding word is jaja...in Israel, the letter ח or chet is used (ח makes that distinctive throat clearing sound that we don't use in the US) which I thought was kinda funny in itself...its normal to see a string of the letters חחחחחחחחחחח which would be pronounced chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh or a long throat clearing sound. Maybe you find that funny too...

Anyway, here's a list of the most memorable moments of the trip (10 is just about as cool as 1:

1) experiencing the top of Masada, looking at the amazing view down towards the Dead Sea, learning about its history.

2) opening ceremonies at Ramat Gan Stadium, walking in the stadium to 50,000 fans and a potential audience of a million or so around the world

3) the group B'Nai Mitzvah at Hebrew University in Jerusalem with breathtaking views of the desert

4) The sunsets at Caesarea...just breathtaking. can't tell you how much i wish you could have been there to watch it too.

5) wading through Hezekiah's Water Tunnel, a 2,000 year old water tunnel that provided Jerusalem with fresh water.

6) wrapping Tefillin at the Kotel, saying a prayer at the Wall while thinking about my family and loved ones, placing a prayer note in the wall

7) renting a car, driving to Jerusalem, spending the afternoon with Marc, walking around the city, especially the Shuk where I took great pictures and had a great meal, conversations with Marc about his path and the search for significance and meaning in our lives

8)The Golf Closing Ceremonies at Caesarea, receiving the bronze medal with the team, drinking champagne on stage, the after party mingling with great people (and golfers) from 12 countries (Australia, Scotland, Finland, France, US, Israel, Canada, Mexico, Sweden, Great Britain, South Africa, and Argentina).

9) Relaxing and playing at the Sea of Galilee, waterslides, barbecue, last night with the tour group, Izzy our tour guide, stubbing my toe.

10) Floating in the Dead Sea, getting all muddy, (with Masada in the middle) the Bedouin feast, camels, eastern music, belly dancing.

11) US Golf Team camaraderie, on the busses, at Shefayim, at the Dan, at the port, the hotel, the room, laughing at movie quotes (Zohan, Caddyshack, Dumb and Dumber), making great friends.

12) the flight home - the King David Lounge, taking a great shower right before boarding, unlimited Coke's, upgrading to business class for $250, the seats, mingling with the flight attendants.

I definitely missed a few moments that were also very memorable: Yad Vashem, Sidonian Caves, our last day in Tel Aviv...and plenty of others.

No comments: