Thursday, July 23, 2009

Last Day in Israel (for a little while)

Right now I'm relaxing in the King David Lounge at Ben Gurion airport - we board LY01 in about 90 minutes or so and a bunch of us golfers upgraded to business class for a small fee. Firstly, apologies for being so lazy not posting anything in the past few days.
A quick wrapup before I get around to a full post when I have time in the coming days. My golf was pretty poor, but got steadily better as the week progressed. The Men's open team took bronze, finishing behind South Africa and Israel respectively. Mike Feuerstein and Mike Myers took 2nd and 3rd respectively in the individual medals, a very solid achievement, shooting 77-69-73-70 (+1) and 72-73-78-71 (+6). The overall winner was Dean Sundelson of South Africa who shot 71-70-73-69 (-5) to capture the gold.

All through the week I was having difficulty with my chipping and putting and that part of the game really cost me strokes all over the place. Again and again I was having trouble keeping chips on the green and countless holes I had two chips and one putt or one chip and two putts or sometimes three putts that inflated my score. My drives were adequate but got better over the days, and was finding it difficult to gauge the distance of my irons with the steady 20-30 mph winds off the Mediterranean. On the bright side, in the final round, after starting out with four consecutive bogeys, I finished the round +2 for the final 14 holes and -2 for the final 6...holes 15 thru 18 are definitely the toughest holes on the course and 18 was a par 4 playing 490 uphill so that definitely was a moral victory for me.

Later in the evening was the awards ceremony which was really nice, classy, enjoyable - everyone had a great time. Today, we decided to not go to the Maccabiah closing ceremonies and instead head to Tel Aviv and be tourists for a final day. We dropped our bags at Mike's cousin's house on Sprinzak before walking around. We walked I'd say two miles or so along Sderot Rothschild and then a street going towards the Sea with all kinds of shops that we stopped in. We reached the beach and found a very nice restaurant just on the other side of HaYarkon from the Sea. We ordered well, ate even better, and then decided not to cab back but walk instead to burn some of the calories off. An hour later we hit back on Sprinzak to Mike's cousin's bachelor bad. We rested for two hours and very luckily found Don't Mess with the Zohan on TV and watched it before calling cabs needed 3 to bring the four of us and bags to the airport. So here we are now in the KDL enjoying free drinks and food before we board in an hour back to the states. :)

To look at a selection of pics, some of which you've probably already seen, click here. Thanks for visiting.

No comments: