Friday, December 21, 2007

Florida Golf

Today was a good time. We woke up at 9:30 and went downstairs and had breakfast in the hotel. From there we drove 30 minutes to the golf course "The Falls" near Hypoluxo Boulevard. We hit on the range for a little while until our host showed up and said it was time for lunch...OK...two meals in two hours no problemo.

The club had such a great spread for lunch. Besides all of the jewish favorites like gefilte fish, herring, and potato salad, there was all sorts of different salads, soups, a carving station with turkey and pastrami (yum) and an omelet station. Delicious.

I'll elaborate on my teammates later but everyone was very, very nice. One fellow is a +3 handicap which basically means he could probably spread me on a bagel and eat me for breakfast on the links but i guess we will see about that soon. Another guy was all set to go to Tulane ('09) as he was moved in and everything...until Katrina hit. His parents didnt let him return and he now goes to Miami. We also have a common friend Matt who is in the MFIN program at Tulane with me.

Golf went pretty much as expected today. I havent played for two months so I was expecting to have some problems with chipping and putting which ended up being the case. I had a mid round lapse where I hit a few grounders (yikes) but was quickly reminded by Dad about tempo and things improved from there. I shot an 83 which not particularly good, but in line with my expectations for being out of practice. I expect to improve a bit for the round tomorrow, but we'll see.

After the round we went back to the hotel and got ready for dinner at Ibis CC with two of Dad's college roommates from Brandeis. Ibis is one of those gated housing developments with 1,800 houses, with golf courses, tennis courts, gyms etc. and is about 25% full time working people/families and 75% retirement folks, and about 50/50jewish and non-jewish.

Dinner was delicious. Started with a canapé from the chef of pistachio crusted bleu cheese with a sliced grape and cabernet sauce. then was the caesar salad, a peach sorbet cleanser, and a 20 oz bone in cowboy ribeye. Yumsters.

Tomorrow we have another round at PGA National. After that, we'll return to the hotel to shower and get ready for our midnight AA flight to Buenos Aires. I'm attaching the best pictures of the day. Enjoy.







No comments: